Hello:

I have two versions of a page, neither satisfactory.

http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~ctillam/guillotine.htm
css @ ~ctillam/layers.css

renders ok in three mac browsers, and on windows in  FF, Opera, Safari and IE6,
but not IE7.

In IE7, it suffers from a variation of the guillotine bug, in which the lowest
of 6 lines of text is cut off, until one has used the test links to change
styles, and then mouseover-ed a group of 6 lines (there are 64 groups of 6
lines on the page): then the bottom line of the six appears.

I have tried many variations to the CSS; tried changing doctype; and have found
only one partial solution, which is to use conditional comments to direct “span
{zoom:1.0}” to IE7. But this totally blows other essential aspects of the css.

I then tried absolute positioning, whereby each group of 6 lines is positioned
by multiple classes.

http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~ctillam/position.htm
css @ ~ctillam/chou.css

which alsop is ok in 3 mac browsers, but only FF renders it on Windows: IE6,
IE7 and Opera do not render the multiple classes at all.

Short of reverting to a table, or giving each of the sets of 6 lines
positioning through an id, I’m stumped, and would welcome suggestions.