Subject: [css-d] What type of positioning to use

I'm at bit of a loss when it comes to building a website. I've mocked up a
layout in an old program called Layout Master and the layout seems to work
fine in most browsers. However, the layout uses absolute positioning and
z-indexes to achieve the layout. Is this wrong and if so why?

Also, are there current, basically agreed upon standards for building
websites, i.e. how to spec fonts (%,em or pts?), or what positioning system
to use? Or is it more of a wild west, whatever works for that particular
project idea?

Start here: http://www.great-web-sights.com/g_layerlaws.asp

Layers (absolutely positioned elements) are rarely a good approach to
general page construction. You can use them sparingly for special purposes
but you should only do so if you fully understand their limitations and
pitfalls. A page relying heavily on layers will be fragile and subject to
vagaries in rendering browser-to-browser. And, if the visitor increases
their font size the page will likely break badly.

As to the wild west, that was in the mid to late '90s. Today's web is the
peoples' web. The user is king and a properly constructed page/site will
focus on usability. Layers rarely allow that.

Font sizing? Seems like ems or % are preferred. I use %. Regardless, never
use pts, they are for the print world and don't translate adequately to a
computer screen.

Or at least that's my opinion & approach.

HTH

Walt