Hallo Jen,

Dan Cederholm http://www.simplebits.com uses a method that "I THINK"
Douglas Bowman developed called sliding doors to produce buttons that
expand with the text.  The work isn't overly taxing, though it does
ad a little extra weight to the Mark-up.

You could check that out as it's contained in Dan's book "Bulletproof
Web Design", as well as an article on scalable navigation using a
repeated gif that tiles to expand with the text field, and a plethora
of instruction on switching to ems, and why it makes sense...

Hope that helps

Jen  and Georg wrote QUOTE:

> Thanks to everyone who responded. This was really helpful! To save
> list
> some hits I will only reply to Georg who covered most of the main
> points
> people had.  (Tigdh had a really good point though about what happens
> when white text breaks out of a background - I didn't think of that.)
>
>> Advice: don't rely on, or use, fixed font-sizes (in pixel).
>

> I have been afraid of ems but I will give it a try.  I am going to try
> the 62.5% solution mentioned at http://www.clagnut.com/blog/348.  I
> guess it is unrealistic to believe that I can expand all of my buttons
> to keep up with expanded text - or is it?  Or should I really lock
> it in
> and use image for text on buttons?
>
> END QUOTE

* * * * *