On 10/5/07, ROHITKUMAR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to extend an inner div out of its enclosing div by giving
> negative margins. The left and right edges are working fine, but it
> causes the outer div to also extend along with the inner div in top and
> bottom edges.In effect, the inner div is not able to go "out" of the
> outer div in top and bottom directions.
> The problem is appearing in ie only. No problems in Firefox.

Hi Rohit,

Depending on the hasLayout [1] status of the outer and inner box, IE
shows various problems in such cases. What you see indeed occurs when
the outer div lacks hasLayout. Try adding zoom:1 to it.  The inner div
also usually needs hasLayout and position:relative otherwise its part
protruding out of the container are clipped.

Hope this helps,
Bruno

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html

--