Hi list,

I am inserting much content into elements using the ‘content’ property and
the ‘::before’ and ‘::after’ pseudo‐elements. The inserted content is
mostly punctuation and other content important to the document
presentation.

But how to deal with non‐compliant software—such as the [i]Internet Explorer
series[/i] of web browsers?

Dean Edwards' IE7 JavaScript library (http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/) does
fix some of IE4–7's CSS problems. Generated content is one of them. But
then the page presentation is dependent on JavaScript. Edwards' JavaScript
library does not load properly on all machines either. (That has something
to do with IE's security settings.)

I have also seen many use ‘background-image’s instead of the ‘content’
property. Though this is no good solution. It breaks way too easily. When
eg. the user alters the text size, does some scaling, or whatever.

Have anyone come up with a good solution to this problem?

Originally posted on My Opera web forum:
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=208811
--
Daniel Aleksandersen