On 10/19/07, Francois Jordaan wrote:
> Thanks for the response, Bruno.
>
> > At list in part, the problem is caused by absence of white space.
>
> What you say makes sense. I had originally deliberately removed all
> whitespace because it caused uneven line-height.
>
> I've updated my test page with a number of different whitespace variants:
> http://www.fjordaan.net/tests/inline-list-test.html
>
> The best variant is (4), but linebreaks are *still* unpredictable, sometimes
> breaking phrases, sometimes not. The annoying thing is that this is only a
> problem in Firefox, IE displays all the variants as desired.

I don't see much differences among 2, 3, 4 (only the first differs,
having less space.)
I haven't looked at the details, but FF seems really to have some
strange wrapping here: I mean that there are conditions when a word is
put on the "next" line even if apparently there is space for it on the
previous one. But this must be checked better.

> Line-height is also completely different between IE and FF.

As David pointed out you cannot rely on exactly same computations
(especially when using decimals) of line-height and other things.
However the big difference that you see here has another reason: you
set the line-height on the inline LI, but the container UL is still
using a 'normal' line-height. If you set your font-size and
line-height on the block containers you will have much more agreement
among browsers (BTW, it is usually better to use 'unitless'
line-height, for inheritance reasons, so can simply omit the %)

> I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Any views of the accessibility of the
> middot approach? Definitely not as good...

I don't know what is better for accessibility.
You should take into account that the cases with the background images
have problems in IE: when the link wrap, the image is lost, see this
Ingo's page [1] for workarounds and further links.

Best,
Bruno

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/wrappinglinkbg.html

--