On Monday 22 Oct 2007, Ingo Chao wrote:
> Alan Chandler wrote:
> > In firefox I can make this overall area position itself under the
> > header and fill the rest of the browser window with the following
> > css
> >
> > #loginContent {
> >     position:absolute;
> >     top:140px;
> >     left:0px;
> >     bottom:0px;
> >     width:100%;
> >     min-height:300px;
> > }
> >
> > In IE6 the size of this div appears to be one line.  How can I make
> > it fill the rest of the window?
> >
> > Similarly, the size of the internal boxes
> >
> > #chatList {
> >     position:absolute;
> >     left:20px;
> >     right:230px;
> >     top:50px;
> >     bottom:125px;
> >     overflow:auto;
> > }
> >
> > Gives a fixed size box in firefox, but in IE6 it only has the size
> > of the content and so initially starts small and then grows as more
> > and more messages come in.  So how can I contain that box to the
> > size relative to its surrounding div?
>
> You can't span an absolutely positioned element with opposite offsets
> in IE. Any solution would have to set it with top/left only, so
> you'll need a height and a width. Min-height is not supported in IE6,
> therefore, the first one collapses to one line by 100% width. The
> second one shrinks-to-fit its content without width and height. A
> dilemma is that you cannot tell a browser to do the math of
> 100%height minus 20px minus 125px. Your absolute positioning attempt
> needs a general rethinking because of this dilemma.
>
> Ingo

I actually discovered a solution using an expression

I create an additional stylesheet for ie 5 and 6

with

#loginContent {
        height:expression(document.body.clientHeight-140);
}

#chatList {
        height:expression(document.body.clientHeight-315);
        width:expression(document.body.clientWidth-250);
}

Works great

--
Alan Chandler