I agree that campaign monitor is a great resource for email HTML and CSS
questions.

There does seem to be a happy medium between using an external stylesheet
(which won't work in most web-based email readers), and using inline styles
on a line-by-line basis, which really doesn't get you beyond the nastiness
of having to use FONT tags.

In almost all email clients (with the sad exception of Gmail), if you define
styles in the BODY, but not the HEAD, it will apply the styles
appropriately, at least for text formatting (size, font, color, line-height,
etc.)...  I have wrote some of this up on a recent post here, which might be
useful:
http://mattmedia.net/2007/08/23/8-html-email-tips-i-wish-i-knew-sooner/

Good luck!
- Matt