Hi jaklitsch maya,

You could use a java script
in the head put:
<script type="text/javascript" src="external.js">
in the body where you want the link to open in a new window
<a rel="external" href="http://www.xxx.com/";>xxx</a>

the javascript sits in the same map as the html
is called external.js and it reads:

function externalLinks() {
 if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return;
 var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName
("a");
 for (var i=0; i<anchors.length; i++) {
   var anchor = anchors[i];
   if (anchor.getAttribute("href") &&
       anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "external")

     anchor.target = "_blank";
window.onload = externalLinks;

It validates and it works
--