David,

Thank you for the response.  My apologies for not
replying sooner.

I took a little bit of a cue from your example, and
made a slight change to the XHTML, nesting the
ul#portNav into the #mainContent.  This allowed for
the necessary positioning control in the alternative
stylesheet.

Once I had that working as desired (and it does), I
switched back to the primary style sheet to see what
CSS changes needed to be made to compensate for the
XHTML change.  After much experimentation, I finally
managed to get the ul#portNav positioned correctly
again.

However, this has produced two new problems.

The lesser of the problems is that I cannot seem to
get the font to render as desired for #portNav
#mainNav or  - larger and bolder.  I'm sure this is
some sort of glaring oversight on my part.

The greater of the problems is that everythign seems
to be functioning correctly in FF/Op/NN/Saf, but when
I check it in IE7, the #portNav links display at the
bottom of the #mainContent, but they display as
regular text, instead of as links.  So far, I'm
finding this to be consistent through all of the
portfolio sub-pages.

An IE7 bug???  The links worked fine prior to changing
the XHTML and CSS, and are working as functional links
in the other browsers.

Would anybody know what is causing this, and -
hopefully - how to correct it?

XHTML testbed:
http://www.lostinxlation.net/sandbox3/portfolio/cybernomics3.php

CSS testbed:
http://www.lostinxlation.net/sandbox3/css/primary.css

Thank you in advance.

~~J. Hodge

(I really need to get more sleep... that might make
this easier...)

http://www.lostinxlation.net/sandbox3/css/alternate.css

> How it should display:
> The "1 2 3" links should display right-aligned
(lined
> up with the right-side of the images), roughly 20px
below the
> #mainContent, and should maintain a 60px margin at
the bottom, between
> them and the green #mainNav area.  The #portDetails
should entirely
> display in the right column, with the top roughly
aligned with the top of
> the images.  Both #mainContent and #portDetails
should be positioned
> starting 60px below the green #banner.  Scaling the
font size up should
> not impact the 60px of whitespace below the "1 2 3"
links, or the 20px of
> whitespace above it, or the 60px of white space
between #mainContent /
> #portDetails and #banner.
>

> ~~J. Hodge
> "treswife at gmail dot com"

I am not so sure I followed all that, but anyway this
is a simple version that /may/ meet some of your
concerns.
One can maintain the top and bottom 60px margin.
However, with font-scaling one or the other column
will be taller-- depending on whether the user scales
the font up or/ down.
It is not CSS that is necessarily difficult, but
rather understanding and working with the mysteries of
the Web herself that is sometimes daunting (but fun).

Cursory tested in IE7, IE6, Opera/9.24, and
FF/whatever it is version...
<http://www.chelseacreekstudio.com/ca/cssd/ja1.html>

HTH,

~dL