Clare AM Green wrote:

> http://www.cam-web.co.uk/newcam/quote.html
>
> As you can see the divs around the form sections (div
> class="formBox") collapse because they are containing floated
> elements.

That's correct behavior, same in all decent browsers.

You can add...

.formBox {overflow: hidden;}
* html .formBox {overflow: visible;}

...to achieve the "expand to contain floats" effect you're after.
The above 'establishes a new block formatting context'[1] in compliant
browsers, while keeping older IE versions out of trouble.

> This is only occuring in friefox as I understand that IE illegally
> forces divs to expand round floated content.

IE/win only gets that wrong when 'hasLayout'[2] is triggered one way or
another - which means "in most cases".

regards
        Georg

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting