Ron Zisman wrote:
> http://www.ricochet.org/ricotest/ricotest.html
>
> somewhat of a newbie.

mmmm :-)

> on the mac platform in opera, firefox and safari it is basically
> working as intended, though each of the 3 browsers interpret border
> colors vastly differently. is it something in my mark-up definition?

Colors and exact appearance for 'groove' and 'ridge' are not defined in
standards. It is left to the browsers.

> is the basic direction i am heading structurally sound, or is there a
>  more robust approach?

Looks like you have lost a div-ending near the bottom...
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ricochet.org%2Fricotest%2Fricotest.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0>
...which gives you more validity-errors than there really are.

In your example both 'innertop' and 'innerbottom' can be replaced by
styling of the relevant headlines (h2).

Otherwise there's nothing much to improve on until we can see a more
content-populated example.

> i suspect i will run into issues with ie on a number of fronts
> including min and max heights and will deal with them as the template
>  gets more resolved.

IE6 may need a couple of min/max workarounds, but IE7 shouldn't give you
any problems.

regards
        Georg
--