On Dec 28, 2007, at 6:41 PM, Jim wrote:

> I'm generating a page with "blocks" of nested DIVs that I'd like
> layed out
> in two  colums.  The width of the blocks is fixed, but their height
> may be
> variable.
>
> I'd like to write them into the HTML source in numeric order (since
> it's
> simplest):
>
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
>
> and have them laid out:
>
> 1 2
> 3 4
> 5
>
> I'm not sure why I can't figure this out.  Is it difficult?  See
> example
> at: http://test.zolx.com/test.cfm

Get rid of the margin-left on .blockright as a first step.

Next, it is probably a good idea to add 'clear:left' to
the .blockleft ruleblock. That will force the div in the left column
to always be below the preceding div in that column, independently of
the height of the previous divs.

You'll probably run into some more problems, particularly in the MS
browsers. But most cases I'm thinking about require a case by case
problem solving, not a generic one.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh