Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Getting ambitious and needing a little bit of advice.
> <http://dejavulostwithiel.co.uk/>
> <http://dejavulostwithiel.co.uk/wp-content/themes/dejavu/style.css>
> The above is a three column site that has two navigational columns
> floated left both with fixed width objects contained in. Navigation
> elements in one and a gallery in another. I have tried to leave the
> site as flexible width. However, I found that the side columns weren't
> holding up because the elements contained in them were larger than the
> width when viewed in a small monitor. So I have added min-width:
> 900px; to try to prevent this happening. 22% of 900px = 198px. I have
> discovered that the site fails in IE 6. The columns end up merged
> together.
>
> I have several questions:
> Is it better to stick with fixed with columns when using fixed width
> elements please? I could always leave the content flexible. (if so has
> anybody got a design I could look at to understand the code needed
> please?)
> Could I set a min-width on the navigation columns, say 200px please?
> Do I need to add some sort of declaration to get it to work in ie 6 please?
>
> Many thanks.

IE6 doesn't understand min-width, rather, its "width" acts like a
min-width due to its additive box model implementation. Example: If you
declare a width of 500px on a <div> while also declaring a margin:5px
and padding:5px, IE6 will see that as "OK 500px, plus 5px per side for
margin and 5px per side for padding - I'll render that 540px wide!"
Hence, all the layout trouble. Ways around that are numerous, from the *
html filter/hack which allows you to declare a different width for IE6
to account for its quirks, to using child selectors in a separate
declaration that standards-compliant can read and IE6 can't. It depends
on your situation and your preferences.