Holly,

Thank you for your help. I've just tested the alterations you
suggested and the page now appears to work in IE7 XP. I've been
struggling on and off for at least two months with this problem...

And, as you say, the :active pseudo-class isn't supported. I shall
have to re-think that part of the site.

I very much appreciate the time you give to helping people like me who
spend half their time out of their depth in hand-coding.

Thank you again for your assistance,

John