On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 04:50:22 -0700
Alan Gresley wrote:

> Michael Adams wrote
>
> > I have been lurking here for the last month and have a question
> > about the right way to handle IE using CSS.
> >
> > I use a master CSS file with the format as follows. To me, the
> > master file method as well as solving the 'old browser' issue, is
> > easier for another designer to approach my code.
> >
> > /* Master CSS File */
> > @import url(layout.css);
> > @import url(colour.css);
> > @import url(fonts.css);
> > @import url(.css) all;
> > /*
> > For the final import line above
> > IE and AOL9/Win load a file called "url(.css) all"
> > All other browsers load ".css"
> > */
> >
> > Is the above IE hack considered the best CSS solution for this
> > method of loading CSS? Are there others?
> >
> > --
> > Michael
>
> I would say that there is no universally agreed best method of feeding
> IE alternative styles. The general consensus is not to hack unless you
> really need to. The method that you have shown is actually the IE
> @import hack [1] and not the propriety IE Conditional Comments which
> are added to the html. There are many alternative CSS hacks for IE [2]
> some of which result in parsing errors (invalid hacks) and some of
> which that don't (valid hacks).

Sorry, had been reading about IE Conditional Comments before wondering
if there was a newer method totally workable within CSS, hence the off
title.

> Doing some test [3] with @import hacks I find that they can be very
> simple, scary.

Scary because they are so simple or scary dangerous?

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416