Hello,

it seems to me that Firefox or IE7 - if an object has clear: left, right
or both - only clear floated objects up to a parent that is positioned
absolutely or relatively. IE6 seems to clear all floated objects on the
page.

Is that correct?

I have a two column layout: left menu column and main content column.
The left menu is floated left.
The content (position: relative) contains blog entries, thus several
divs following each other. Every div contains
- title
- main text, may contain left or right floated images
- footer div with link to comments

I had to set the floated images to "position: relative" because
otherwise they go under the blog enrty divs (in terms of z-order) and
thus are hidden.

When the main text is short, but there is a floating image, in IE6 the
footer goes right under the main text. Thus I thought I can set the
footer to clear: both. But then it clears the left menu column as well...

The page isn't public therefore I cannot provide a link.

Best regards,

Christian
*Directmedia Publishing GmbH* · Möckernstraße 68 · 10965 Berlin
www.digitale-bibliothek.de
AG Berlin-Charlottenburg · HR B 58002 · USt.Id. DE173211737
Geschäftsführer: Ralf Szymanski · Erwin Jurschitza