Dear all,
As helpfully suggested by Philippe, I now have all the pages on the site
up to a "strict" standard,  "XHTML 1.0 Strict", but I still have the
white area not expanding up and down problem:
----
I start with my biggest problem - that on Safari (both Mac and Windows).
..... In Safari, however, the <li>
does not extend fully upwards or downwards and is instead limited to the
area of the text and across wards. This ruins the effect. I have looked
through lists of Safari problems and asked other but I am well and truly
stuck.
---

Would it only work with HTML (and not XHTML)? Or should I be doing
something else?

Thanks,
--
Harry Burt