Actually, Geoffrey, you are correct in the case of modern standards
compliant browsers. The text-align: center is for the benefit of IE6
(and lower, I presume) which doesn't seem to obey margin:auto too
well. By using the approach mentioned above (text-align: center on the
body, and margin: 0 auto on the container block), you make sure all
browsers will center your content block correctly.

Geoffrey Hoffman wrote:

> If you have a div id wrapper with width:800px margin:0 auto; isn't the
> text-align:center redundant? I've only ever used
>
> #wrapper {
>    margin:0 auto;
>    width:800px;
>    text-align:left;
> }
>
> I've never put text-align:center on body.
>
> Actually all you need is to specify a width (it can be relative or fixed)
> and use
> margin-left:auto;
> margin-right:auto;

»Roger Gordon