Kevin Stevens wrote:

> I have some time on my hands at the moment so I have decided to update
> some of my old site, replacing tables with CSS.

In general, it's more fruitful to design new pages or redesign pages
than to change existing code just to clean it up (which is what
"replacing tables with CSS" tends to mean).

> One of these sites,
> http://www.compvoltalk.co.uk/ , is to be used by visually impaired
> people so I decided to add a switcher that enlarges the text.

Even IE users can change the basic font size, and users of other
browsers usually have even better controls. There's the drawback that on
IE, you can only select between five sizes, but users to whom this is a
problem have needed to find out to use various auxiliary tools, like
user style sheets or zooming. So in effect, separate size controls on a
per-site or per-page basis don't really help much. And, in fact, they
may confuse and distract.

If you do that, then it's probably best to use a presentation for the
controls that resembles things your visitors may have seen elsewhere.
The most common presentations I've seen are
a) a row of icons (images) indicating different sizes
b) icons with symbols like plus and minus, or other icons indicatíng
increase or decrease
c) dropdown menus.
Any of these can easily be formatted in a fairly compact way, so that
the size controls don't eat up half of the available space.

> The URL changes, but the text size does not, and what I can't
> figure out is if this is a CSS bug with IE or a problem with my ASP.

It's even more difficult to us, since we cannot see the ASP code. The
switching takes place there, and we cannot know how - CSS has no direct
access to data passed in the URL.

But wait.... I think this _is_ a CSS problem after all, since e.g.
selecting the default size and the smallest of the sizes*) results in a
page containing the element

<link rel="alternative stylesheet" href="default_text.css" media="all"
type="text/css">

The correct spelling is rel="alternate stylesheet", but you really want
rel="stylesheet", since IE does not support alternate stylesheets at
all, so far. Logically, it's alternat(iv)e, but technically, in the CSS
sense, it should be declared just a style sheet for the page
(technically, a "persistent" style sheet, which will always be used, not
just selectable by the user via browser controls).

*) Note: There are vision impairments that make a font size _smaller_
than the common default preferable. However, people with such an
impairment, if it is serious, have probably already set their browser to
use a suitable small size, and since you set the font size to 1em in the
default style sheet (100% is better since it avoids some browser bugs),
they will see your page in their preferred font size and won't any need
font size controls there.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/