On 6/03/2008, at 7:03 AM, Rick Faircloth wrote:
As far as IE goes, I test for IE6 and IE7, nothing lower.
My data shows no visitors ever coming to my sites with anything less
than IE6.
And if they do, well, it's just time for an upgrade.  I'm not jumping
through
that many hoops to accommodate so few IE 5 users.

And I make liberal use of conditional comments for IE.  In the years
to come,
as standards and browser capabilities change, conditional stylesheets
are much
easier to change than hacks, which are no future-proof, either.

Rick

I have recently updated our policies regarding this, after much
examining of logs of sites we've developed.  For IE it is now 6
upward as well, with a check to ensure it renders ok in 5.5, and that
it is readable, if not reference rendering.  In fact, the only
mention of IE below 6 was in a discussion forum, for which the lone
user of Mac IE5.2 on OS 9 could change the theme to another which
rendered fine, so no issue there.  Keep in mind this is more
representative of the type of sites we do, than the internet as a
whole, and the ultimate answer is for the developer to examine logs,
and their own ideas of what they're comfortable with.

We still use conditional comments for IE6 for functionality as far as
transparent PNGs and a few other small aspects go, but the 'ie'
stylesheet has become much shorter than it used to be.

Karl
mothership - http://mothership.co.nz