Last night I replaced visability:hidden with display:none in my
implementation of Lightbox's slideshow. It works fine (and just as
described, the extra space that the visibility property put on my page has
now been eliminated with the display property).

It's not necessary for accessibility for a reader to "see" this code as
it's only required to make the slideshow feature work. I haven't, in all
honesty, looked into the accessibility issues with Lightbox per se.