CSS-d,

I've looked on the web for help with what I am trying to accomplish, but
all references that I've found to multi-column layouts seem to assume
that each column has different content.

Perhaps I'm just not using the right search terms. I have a feeling this
is either totally obvious beginner's stuff, or entirely impossible.

I have a bunch of text that I have contained inside a <div>.

What I want to do is have the text break into two different columns.
Ideally, the height of the columns, and the containing <div> would end
up as 50% of the combined height of the two columns.

So, for example, if my text were simply the numbers 1 through 10, each
in it's own <p> tag, it would end up looking something like this in the
final layout:

---div begins---
1    6
2    7