Rafael, thanks for your help.
i noticed the js problem you mentioned in
Fiddler<http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/> -
we fixed that. thanks for flagging it.
interestingly it turns out that Safari automatically renders the .Net as
<DIVs> and <SPANs> - without using the CSS Adapters - which why my style
wasn't working.
in future we will use the CSS Adapters anyway so we won't have bothersome
tables.
Vince

On 21/03/2008, Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> vincent pollard wrote:
> > hey rafael, thanks for your reply. the error was actually happening
> > before we added that js file.
>    I guess that has nothing to do, then. Still, it would be good to
> correct that issue (an HTML file served as JS).
>
> > the quicklinks dropdown is .net control.
>    If you're using .Net 2+ you could consider using the CSS adapters[1].
>
> > i heard safari sometimes doesn't like these but i can't work out how
> > to fix it.
>    I can't blame it, you're serving ~100kB just in the ViewState field!
> ---the whole page is ~200kB.
>
>    Anyway, the problem is that the resulting DOM element in Safari
> doesn't have the class applied to it, so there must be some issue with
> your JS ---it seems to be generated dynamically---, check that code (I
> really hope is easier to do so in your IDE). Good luck.
>
> > does anyone have any experience with .net css adapters? maybe that
> > would help?
>    Oh, I see you already know about them.
> <off-topic>
>    In big corps .Net 1.1 seems to be the standard (go figure), at least
> around here, so I haven't had the opportunity to work with them.
>
>    Anyway, they seem to be just an easier way to change the "rendering"
> (actual HTML send to the browser) of a control. This was already
> possible in .Net 1.1 but you had to override the Render method (hence
> effectively creating new controls), but then again, I haven't actually
> player with them.
> </off-topic>
>
>    Rafael.
>
> [1] http://www.asp.net/cssadapters/
> > On 21/03/2008, *Rafael* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> >
> >     vincent pollard wrote:
> >>     on this site <http://www.cancercare.on.ca/> in Safari the dropdown
> menu is
> >>     too low and the Quicklinks dropdown refuses to take style.
> >>
> >>     any ideas why it's happening and how to fix it?
> >>
> >         The style I see in Fx (and that is missing in Safari) is
> >     because of the class "quickLinks" added to it, but in Safari it
> >     just isn't added at all. This might have something to do with your
> >     "swfobject.js" file that triggers a couple of errors in Safari
> >     (since it's actually an HTML file).
> >
> >         Regards.
> >         Rafael.

Vincent Pollard