vincent pollard wrote:

> i have a page that looks a bit like this:
>

> <hr />
>
> <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Font-Bold="True"
> Text="Name"></asp: Label>

I don't think the page contains such markup. Rather, you have a file
that contains it, and the _server_ then processes the markup and
generates some HTML from it.

> so, i have no DIV that i could add padding or margin to as i normally
> would.

What _is_ the markup that the browser gets? If it's just <input>
elements, then you can set margin for them directly, but for many other
purposes, it might be better to wrap them inside containers, <div> or

> should i add an empty p tag? an empty div?

Why? If you can affect the markup, you can put the <input> elements
inside containers as needed. Many people use <p>, but that's both
illogical and impractical, since it implies default margins, and it's
easier to start styling a <div>, which can reasonably safely be assumed
to be "naked", just a block element with no particular default
formatting.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/