I am not sure if this is a bug (known or unknown) or normal bahaviour. But I
found out about it by accident and have been looking for an explanation ever
since, but can't find it.

Here is how you reproduce it:

Set background-color of html-element to 'transparent'
set width of body element to anything smaller than the viewport and center
it (margin:0 auto;)
Make sure padding of body is 0
Apply a background color to the body element (for example red)

Now suddenly the whole background is red, in other words, the
background-color of the body element seeps into it's margins. But margins
are supposed to be transparent according to the spec (I can't find an
exception anywhere).

I tested this in IE7, FF2, Opera9 and Safari3, they all display this
behaviour making me think it is normal, but according to the spec margins
should always be transparent so what is going on here???

Bert