Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your response.

> If you want the text (and other inline elements) inside this DIV to be
> centered you could set text-align to center. However, I'm guessing you
> don't want that precisely.

This is true, I'd like only the container to be centered.

> I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't
> want to set a width explicitly if you know you want it to be centered.

The DIV block holds a table with varying number of columns and some
other elements that I'd like to keep together with the table.  If it were
just a table it would not be a problem because of the way the widths are
computed.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#width-layout

> Oh, and the display: table settings are not very well supported at the
> moment. I'd steer clear of them for now.

This is my concern too.  I'll probably think of something different.  Thanks
again for your response.

Yuri