Stuart Walsh wrote:
> David Laakso wrote:

>> IE gets it wrong. This is true 99.999 percent of the time.
>>
>> Bear with with me. We're going to enclose the page with a fuchsia
>> colored border by correcting the markup and opening the footer:
>>
>> 1/ You have closed one more division than you have opened. Delete the
>>
>> 2/
>> #wrapper
>> {
>> width : 800px;
>> margin : 0 auto;
>> text-align : left;
>> /*border-left : 1px solid gray; delete*/
>> border: 1px solid fuchsia; <------add
>> }
>> #footer .
>> {
>> clear : both;
>> border-bottom:1px solid none; <---- add
>> overflow: hidden; <--- add to open the footer so it will be enclosed
>> within the page border
>> }
>>

> Thanks very much for your help. The page now works - with a border all
> around the wrapper just at stage 1, closing the </div> below the
> </ul>. (I'm curious about the second and third rules in #footer. The
> footer gets enclosed just by removing the </div>.) Thanks again.

The footer is enclosed by just removing the </div> in non-compliant
browsers-- IE/6.0 and IE/7.0. The footer is not enclosed in compliant
browsers-- Firefox, Camino, Safari, and Opera. Adding the rule above
overflow:hidden; will open the collapsed division (the footer) and
enclose it within the wrapper. You'll never get anywhere fast with CSS
if you continue to believe IE gets it right. Code to compliant browsers,
and check back to IE. Not vice-versa.

--
http://chelseacreekstudio.com/