Thank you all very much for your help with my background image, I've
now got it displaying on the page.

Now for my next problem: I am trying to use the background image as a
faux column. The width of the image is supposed to total 760 pixels
(180px for the dark gray column, 20 px blank, then 560px for the
light gray column). However, with those measurements and the CSS I
have currently, the image doesn't cover all of the text. I keep
increasing the width of the image (it's now at 820px!) but that seems
to have no effect whatsoever.

I know something is wrong with either the width of my column/sidebar,
or width of the image, but I can't see it. Can you?

Page: http://home.comcast.net/~prairiedream/beginning/faux.html
CSS: http://home.comcast.net/~prairiedream/beginning/faux.css

Thanks so much for your help!

Carol