Hi Georg

Thank you - I am totally in awe of your
knowledge!  :-)   I implemented your suggestions,
and as a bonus the layout on IE8 is fixed too
(until Microsoft changes something ... ), as can be seen here

http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=385801

in case anyone else is interested in seeing the
difference Georg's amendments have made.

>html, body {height: 100%; max-height:100%;}

Can't remember where I got this from but I
thought it was necessary if you want scrolling
content between fixed header and footer?

>Note that "fixed" elements are fixed to the
>browser-window, so the vertical nav will overlap
>main text when horizontal scrolling is needed on narrow windows.

The vertical navigation has to be fixed,
otherwise it disappears under the image at the
top when one scrolls the page, and the client
won't like that.  I realise that I could have
used javascript to make the vertical navigation
remain in sight, when one scrolled down, but
because of Accessibility considerations I try to
avoid using javascript for anything that the user
- whether disabled or not - *needs* in order to enjoy the web site.

Thank you, again - I am so happy!

Kind regards
Rachel