--- bookpage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestions and help. I had to
> use float left in
> order to get the <hr> to display in FF. I have used
> the clear:left and
> now the navbar and footer will not center. I tried
> taking out the
> float:left and my <hr> disappears again.

The use of float: left to get an hr to display is very
surprising - it sounds as if something else in your
layout is affecting things. Are you referring to the
'hr's within 'xsmall'?

The navbar (again, I assume you mean the 'xsmall' div)
will not be centered correctly in this case, since you
have applied a 'float: left' to it. One effect of
floating a block to the left is to reduce its width
(in the absence of an explicit 'width' value) to the
minimum required. You could either specify an explicit
width (e.g. 780px, as per the #wrapper) or, as
previously suggested, remove the float: left.

It might be easier if you try building the page up
'component' by 'component' - I suggest you try looking
at the page without the #heading and the #container;
this might help you to understand what is going on
more easily. I really don't think your layout requires
floating (these top-level components), unless you're
trying to do something drastically different to how it
is currently displaying.