On Apr 29, 2008, at 8:21 AM, Jeff Blaine wrote:

> Interesting.  I wish I understood why 'overflow: hidden'
> solves the problem.  I don't like adding things that I
> don't fully understand.  What overflow am I hiding?  Why
> is 'overflow: hidden' the magic that states, "these
> children belong to the enclosing div".  It just seems
> awful obtuse to me.
>
> Curiously, I also found that adding "float: left;" to
> #bottomrow also solved the problem.

The 'float' property and the 'overflow' (other than 'visible')
property establish a new block formatting context(s) [1].  Look at it
as creating a kind of self contained box out of which nothing escapes.

Google 'containing floats' for more.

PS - 'overflow:hidden' is imho better than 'overflow:auto'. The latter
may trigger vertical scrollbars unexpectedly, esp if inline elements
inside the box have padding or a border (those don't affect the height
of the containing box).

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting>

Philippe
---