At 01:47 -0400 30/4/08, S. Woodside wrote:
>I have a div absolutely positioned with overflow: hidden, and I have
>an image, of unknown pixel size, displayed inside it. I wish for the
>image to be "cropped" on the left and right, and sized to fit
>vertically. A key element here is that I will not know in advance what
>the size of the image actually is.

I recently asked how to center a larger image vertically and
horizontally in a smaller div and received some good suggestions.
Basically they all involve using the image as the *background image*
of the div or another element placed inside the div.

Login to view the archives, the thread starts here:
<http://lists.css-discuss.org/mailman/private/css-d/2008-April/subject.html#86956>

Cheers   Martin