--- Daniel Botting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It looks fine in FF and Opera, a little broken in
> Konqueror and completely broken in IE7.

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure as to exactly which IE bugs or CSS
deviations are in play here, but I notice immediately
that you might have much better luck by simplifying
the markup and approach.

I'm not sure why you are using absolute positioning to
layout the nesting, but a true nested structure:

        ....... inner content box goes here

combined with padding on the outer box, and dimensions
set only on the inner box, will allow the outer's
background to poke through as a border, in (I think)
your desired effect. This also has the advantage that
the two boxes will remain aligned when text is
resized.

I've put up a full version at:
http://www.fiveminuteargument.com/nested-divs.html

Let me know if you have any further issue with this
approach.

Regards,

- Bobby