Kim Brooks Wei schrieb:
> I've gotten myself in trouble with this layout, and I can't figure my
> way out of it, although I've been trying for a while.
>
> This is what I want the layout to be:
>
> * Textured body borders right and left and ivory content box centered
> between them
>       This works now but I don't why. I can't see where I've
> defined right and left margins.

 From line 213 on:

#content {
    text-align: center;
    margin: 0 2.5em 0;
    padding-top: 1.6em;
    border-left: 1px solid #6681aa;
    border-right: 1px solid #6681aa;
    border-top: 6px solid #6681aa;
    border-bottom: 6px solid #6681aa;
    color: #849bb9; background: #F8FCD3;
        }

> * The logo should center to the page

If you give the #logo the same margin-left as the #contant, it should
appear centered
> * The left nav box is in the right place
> * Everything else should center to the area between the left nav box
> and right border of content box.
>       This isn't happening. Some items almost center, some don't
> center at all. Apparently the uls are pushing their contents to the
> right.

You defined:

#content #container {
    height: 1%;
    margin: 0 auto;
    text-align: left;
    padding: 1em 6em 0;
    }

...which gives that element symmetrical paddings of 6em on both the left
and the right side. But if you have an additional element (the menu) on
the left side, and want to let the main contents appear centered to the
space that is left without the menu, you have to increase the left
padding to about 14em.

> TIA for help.

By the way: There are some validation errors in the HTML
(http://validator.w3.org/)

Best regards,

Christian Kirchhoff
*Directmedia Publishing GmbH* · Möckernstraße 68 · 10965 Berlin
www.digitale-bibliothek.de
AG Berlin-Charlottenburg · HR B 58002 · USt.Id. DE173211737
Geschäftsführer: Ralf Szymanski · Erwin Jurschitza