snak detek+0r wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/6sb7bp

> 1) why does my wrapper div (gray bg) not fully enclose my columns? If
>  I want space between rows, do I have to do something different?

Floats are not contained by default. Buggy IE/win contains them because
there's a 'hasLayout' trigger on .wrapper, but more decent browsers need
to be told.

Adding...

.product_wrapper:after {
  content: ".";
        display: block;
        height: 0;
        clear: both;
        overflow: hidden;
}

...will make decent browsers behave as you intended.

> 2) each box is broken up into 3 main columns, which are currently
> floated against eachother as follows:
>
> +---------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
>  | leftCol - float L   |   midCol - float L   |   rightCol - float R
> |
> +---------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
>
> My questions are, does it matter which way the right column is
> floated?

In some very old browser-versions, yes, IIRC. In today's browsers, no.
What you've got is probably most resistant against unwanted float hook-ups.

> And is there a better way of achieving fixed-width columns than
> floating in the first place?

Fixed width CSS table or real HTML table, are better - especially if you
want columns that really are of same height.
However, the former isn't supported by IE7 and older versions - seems to
be in IE8, and the latter can easily get you into the firing line of the
standardistas if they think you use them for the "wrong" purposes.

Floats are already used for the "wrong" purposes all over the place,
mainly because there is no better - working (also in IE) - alternative.
No, I haven't found one either :-)

> 3) Currently these 3 columns have pixel widths of 200+300+300, all
> with 5px borders = 830px total. They are wrapped in a div with
> width=830, so it all seems to work. My question about this is: could
> this break for some reason later? Obviously, if i change the border
> width of the interior divs to 4px, I'll end up with a bunch of thin
> lines between columns. OR, if I enlarged these borders, my Right
> column would flow down & break my layout.

Unless the floats run out of horizontal space in their wrapper there
shouldn't be any problems.

> 4) When I remove .product_wrapper {white-space:nowrap;} the layout
> breaks in dreamweaver (here's a picture: http://tinyurl.com/4do3eu ).
>  I thought it was doing it in FF too, but now I don't see it.
> Nonetheless, it worries me. In the past I've only used
> {white-space:nowrap;} for text. Is it advisable to leave this in? Or
> am I just worrying about a dreamweaver bug when I would be better off
> to delete this and ignore it? FWIW, it gets even worse if I stack a
> third row on the bottom.

Have no idea what Dreamweaver is up to, but DW isn't a browser so it
doesn't count as one. Check that "fixes" for DW don't disturb real
browsers, and make sure to take them out if they do.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no