Thanks, Josh (and Jukka and Phillipe).

I tried the list-style-position: inside option. When text wraps in the
list item, it wraps back to the start of the item number. That wouldn't
be acceptable here.

Using generated content is out because our corporate standard web
browser is IE6. IE7 and later aren't even on the testing horizon, and
only a few people get special permission to use Firefox or Opera (for
the purposes of testing our public sites).

Jukka, interesting that you mention using table markup instead. That's
what our current enterprise content management (ECM) system uses. Its
content editing tool has outline buttons that transparently do the heavy
lifting of creating/destroying table elements, calculating outline
numbers, etc. The content editing tool of our soon-to-come new ECM uses
standard list markup instead - so working with
outlines-marked-up-as-tables will be a tedious manual process. (And,
unfortunately, when our content converted over into the new system, the
outlines came across as tables.)

We have hundreds of pages with the outline-tables problem, so I guess
we're just going to have to put up with them and over time get rid of
the outline-tables.

David Jones, Content Coordinator, Customer Relations - KL PS, (808)
948-5830