--- Giuseppe Craparotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

http://www.giuseppecraparottacv.co.uk/html/form/competition-form.html

> 1) The second row of the incomplete form page is
> composed by two <fieldset>s
> whose the first has "float:left" applied. Fine, but:
> why the height of the whole row is determined by the
> <fieldset> put at the
> right, which is the shortest of the two? Containing
> the first more content,
> this implies that part of it is not visible because
> the grey bg is not
> extended enough towards the bottom. As you can see,
> I solved the issue by
> adding several <br />s, which is kind of crappy, I
> don't like that.
> Could please somebody explain why the height of the
> row is not calculated on
> the basis of the tallest fieldset? And how to get
> this result without
> expedients?
> Oh, an answer could be: is it maybe that being the
> non-floated fieldset the
> last of the html flow, the code below refers to it
> as starting point?

I think you /might/ have answered that one yourself,
but I'm not quite sure I understand your last sentence
so, according to my understanding:

You have two boxes in the 'row', one floated to the
left, the other then aligning to its right-hand edge.
If the latter box is not as tall as the former,
following content will continue to align against the
right-hand edge. This will continue until content
'clear's the float, either implicitly (i.e. after
enough content to pass below the bottom edge of the
floated box) or explicitly (i.e. clear: left;).
Applying a clear: left to your final fieldset, and
removing the br's creates the effect I think you
require.

BTW, there IS no 'row', as such.