I am trying to apply special style to all .ygtvitem elements which _do
not_ have a .ygtvchildren ancestor. In CSS, it is easy enough to select
all .ygtvitem elements which _do_ have a .ygtvchildren ancestor:

.ygtvchildren .ygtvitem {
  color: red
}

However I cannot figure out how to select those which _do not_ have
a .ygtvchildren ancestor.

For the time being, our workaround is to apply the "no .ygtvchildren
ancestor" style to all .ygtvitem elements, and a different style to
those .ygtvitem elements which _do_ have a .ygtvchildren ancestor:

.ygtvitem {
  color: black
}

.ygtvchildren .ygtvitem {
  color: red
}

- however this is not ideal: We do not want to explicitly specify style
for .ygtvitem elements which _do_ have a .ygtvchildren ancestor - we
want then to inherit the cascaded style.

How can I explicitly specify style for only .ygtvitem elements which _do
not_ have a .ygtvchildren ancestor? What is the CSS selector
for .ygtvitem elements which _do not_ have a .ygtvchildren ancestor?

Thanks and best wishes, Jack