Here are your main players.
No they are not free.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

http://www.ubbcentral.com/

http://www.photopost.com/

I haven't looked at them in detail in a while to know what extent
their layout templates can be edited.
I think though the forum layouts may lend themselves to a table based
structure. That would be an interesting issue to hear more about.
Likely it is covered on one of their heavily trafficked user forums.
I've only recently started jumping on the css layout bandwagon, but
it has been a fun ride so far.

Thanks,
Barrett
AOL/AIM handmadepaperus