My immediate thought would be:

h1 a     { position: relative; height: 62px; }
h1 a img { position: absolute; top: 0; background-color: inherit; }

BUT, you might want to test that under different browsers and/or wait for
further responses, because I'm not an expert on all of IE's idiosyncrasies. As
far as I can tell, though, that's according to spec.

Bear in mind that this will 'fail' when text size is increased, although other
elements of your design do that anyway.

- Bobby