Hi Everyone,

Someone recently informed me about a very odd float jumping bug in one
of my sites while using IE 7 (Win XP).

The problem occurs on the main page of this site:

http://capa.concord.org/

It's a pretty simple layout, with one main column and a sidebar
floated to its left.  The main column has a left margin that's a bit
bigger than the floated sidebar.

Here's the problem: Occasionally, in IE 7, the floated column jumps
from the place it's supposed to be to overlap the main column:

Good:
http://capa.concord.org/images/good-ie.png

Bad:
http://capa.concord.org/images/bad-ie.png

When this happens, one can either hit the reload button or change the
window size a bit and everything falls into place like it's supposed
to.

Has anyone out there seen this bug? It's hard to reproduce reliably.
So far I've tried giving the #sidebar position:relative (which I
needed for IE6), and I've tried giving it layout with the proprietary
"zoom: 1" in the ie7.css file (I'm using conditional comments to have
some extra rules for IE6 and below and some for IE 7). Neither seems
to fix it, though once the problem has "fixed" itself it sometimes
stays that way until the computer is restarted.

Any suggestions for solutions?  The easiest would be to just put it in
a two-cell table, of course, but that's cheating.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Burney
http://www.concord.org/