When I generate a table, occasionally I'd like to style it in column,
row and/or cell specific ways. Rather than emit application specific
style information on a case-by-case basis, can someone recommend a
method or best practices for generic table styling? I'm a programmer,
not a web designer. I'd like to separate my peas and carrots a little.

For example, lets say I have a grid of products and I want to have
borders only on the inner cells (like a tic-tac-toe board).

Or perhaps I want to shade every other row or only one column in a report.

My first thought is to use multi-class attributes like:

Would this work and would it be portable (e.g. do multi-class
attributes work in IE 6)?

I know I should probably just try it and see but I'm just
brainstorming here. I'm hoping someone has already thought of this and
has some good advice.

Mike