Thank you for your reply.  I have modified the code as you said, but it
still does not work in tables.  Also, the JavaScript to set the height and
width is now broken in Mozilla (not as big of an issue).  Your help is
very much appreciated.

This is what I have now.  The blocks inside the table do not work in IE,
while those outside the table do.  Any ideas?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
<head>
  <title>CSS Z-Index Test</title>
#wrapper, #wrapper2 {
  position: relative;
  background-color: #00ff00;
}
#over, #over2 {
  background-color: #999999;
  opacity: 0.5;
  filter: alpha(opacity=50);
  -moz-opacity: 0.5;
  position: absolute;
  z-index: 999;
}
#under, #under2 {
  overflow: visible;
  border-color: #ff0000;
  border-style: solid;
  border-width: 2px;
}
</head>
          This does not work correctly.<br>
          <script type="text/javascript">
            document.getElementById("over").style.width =
document.getElementById("under").scrollWidth;
            document.getElementById("over").style.height =
document.getElementById("under").scrollHeight;
          </script>
    This does work correctly.<br>
    <script type="text/javascript">
      document.getElementById("over2").style.width =
document.getElementById("under2").scrollWidth;
      document.getElementById("over2").style.height =
document.getElementById("under2").scrollHeight;
    </script>

Thanks,
David