David Laakso wrote:
> Michael Adams wrote:
>> Using negative margins and fluid layout in a CMS template and just
>> wondering how others handle robustness issues. If one of the authors
>> places a large image in content which looks good on their browser, but
>> it is to big for 800x600 how do you handle the overflow.
>>

> I suppose the obvious is that you can't cram 5lbs of apples in a 3lb
> bag.  CMS authors need to be aware of layout limitation regardless of
> the layout structure that has been employed. The width of the any image,
> or fixed width element,  needs to be less wide than the column it is
> placed in when the browser is at 800. Tight tolerance is good to avoid.
> IE6 and down need even /more/ horizontal playroom or the float will
> drop.  A user with a sidebar in use complicates matters. Setting min/max
> with the min-width at less than enough to clear the scroll bar at 800t
> helps (you'll need a min/max workaround for IE/6). There are a couple of
> ways to handle too wide images in narrow windows but I am not sure how
> well this will work for you in IE, particularly when the width and
> height of the image is unknown.

A good way to deal with this in a CMS system is to build a routine into
the processing that resizes images to fit.

Actually, it might not be a bad idea to build into a CMS a routine that
vets any code input by content creators and cleans out what you don't
want. The editor in my employer's ECM system does that.

--
David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]