On 2008/08/22 18:20 (GMT-0400) Polka Dot Cottage Admin apparently typed:

> I'm new to the list, and relatively new to CSS, as well.  I've taught myself
> quite a bit in the course of designing my website, but there is one problem
> I haven't been able to overcome:

> My screen resolution is 1024x768, and the content of my site fits that
> window nicely.  I want to test how it will behave on a monitor with higher
> resolution.  There will be plenty of unused space on a widescreen monitor,
> and I need to see how the content of the site is displayed in that
> environment.  There are questions I can't answer in my own browser, such as

>    - Does it center everything appropriately, or is everything
>    left-justified?

That depends on your CSS and your intent.

>    - Are the background images carried all the way throughout, or are there
>    big white stripes on each side?

Same thing.

>    - Are the three columns close together or spaced way apart?

Example URL?

> Since a new laptop is not currently in the budget (darn!) is there some CSS
> trick I can employ to trick the system into thinking the resolution is
> higher than it is?  Even if I have to use the horizontal scrollbar to see
> everything, that's fine.

The "trick" is to not use 1024x768 in the first place, at least not
exclusively. It's not necessary, and will constrain your mindset into a
comfort zone rut. Even in Windows you can just change the resolutions as
often as needed without rebooting. You can do this too in Mac and Linux. But
in Linux, you can have 2 or 3 or 4 or more resolutions simultaneously - such
as 1024x768, 1400x1050 & 1920x1440, all on a single CRT display. This you do
by configuring as many custom user configurations as you wish, and logging in
as each of those users separately on virtual screens, and hot-key switching
among them as often as you want.

Of course, you'll only be seeing the relative differences, not realistic
ones. Realistic would mean changing to a display size appropriate to each
selected resolution along with each logical switch.

If you think this isn't simple enough, that's probably true. But what's also
true is there's no need for you or your page design to care about resolution
whatsoever. The web is naturally elastic, and really does not work well with
the static magazine pages that most web sites amount to, at least, not
outside a narrow range of anachronistic and low resolutions.

With proper CSS, everyone can see more or less the same thing without regard
to their display size or screen resolution. Various terms are used to
describe this design method, such as elastic or fluid. Of course, elastic or
fluid is not what most web sites do, so it takes a bit of work to find good
example sites. Some elaborate ones can be found at http://cssliquid.com,
while some more basic demos can be found in http://sperling.com/ &
http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Sites/dlviolin.html &
http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Sites/ksc/
--
"Love is not easily angered. Love does not demand
its own way."                   1 Corinthians 13:5 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/