Looking for some suggestions to be more css-zen-like.

I normally use the following idiom. Please ignore the noise ... this example
is mostly about breaking up the page with divs for HEADER, MAIN and FOOTER.

    menu
    app title
    subtopic
    blah
      column 1 content ...
      column 2 content here
   <ul>
      <li>...</li>
   </ul>

So this affords me a decent layout template. I can put dotted lines around
the MAIN ... or pad the header or footer differently. This also degrades
nicely since things generally stay in place on the page.

Unfortunately, I know I am letting the intended layout affect the position
and labels of the html containers, HEADER, MAIN and FOOTER.

If I look on the CSS ZEN GARDEN site - it is incredible - but I do see the
words footer, preamble, pageHeader ... etc. So - it seems that layout is
somewhat included - although it might be more meta/desriptive than it is
positioning.

Can anyone share brief rules of thumb or anecdotal type patterns to follow
to avoid the type of positioning divs I am leveraging?

-Luther