Hi Georg

Thank you so much for the heads up I really appreciate it.

I did a search on your first solution and this is what I have done to
fix problem.

I didn't work out how what you meant about "contain floats" methods to
make their parent-element expand to contain them".

I understand the concept but them got confused by what to do.

Thanks again for your help

#container {
        position: relative;
        width: 780px;
        background: #fcfcfc;
        margin: 0 auto; /* the auto margins (in conjunction with a width)
center the page */
        border: 1px solid #000000;
        text-align: left;
        height: auto;
}

#sidebar1 {
        width: 150px; /* the background color will be displayed for the
length of the content in the column, but no further */
        padding: 15px 20px 15px 15px;
        clear: none;
        float: left;
        display: inline-block;
        position: relative;
        border-right: 1px dotted #fde74a;

#sidebar2 {
        width: 158px; /* the background color will be displayed for the
length of the content in the column, but no further */
        padding: 20px 10px 0px 15px;
        clear: right;
        float: right;
        display: inline-block;