georg,
as usual, you're unbelievable.
On Oct 4, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

> Ron Zisman wrote:
>> http://www.musiccityyo.org/gallery.html
>
>> i preparing a photo galley for a small site for kids. the images
>> don't have captions, but i want interested people to be able to
>> identify the images to be able to order prints from the photographer.
>>  i know i could just put the image number into a caption, but
>> would rather it no be there unless needed.
>
> Demo: <http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/rz/test_08_1004.html>
>
> First row show captions in hover.
> (IE6 needs more help than I've included in the example for that one to
> work, but other browsers will do fine.)
> With such a hidden caption the alt-attribute on images can be left
> empty.

this certainly comes up strong and quick on mouseover. but it also
demonstrates a small problem. as people run their mouse across the
images to click to larger images, the numbers come up right away,
which is a little distracting.

> Second row has title-attributes - tootips. Title-attributes can not
> replace text in alt-attributes.

this seems to take a little more 'intention' for the tooltip to come up

> Note that IE/win is buggy and presents text in alt-attributes as
> tooltips by default - unless there's a non-empty title-attribute in
> which case it'll present the title-text instead.

you might ask why i didn't do this little experiment myself instead
of running to mama. i'm such a slug!

thanks georg,

--ron