I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I found this statement
online: "There are some cases where the inner selector does not inherit the
surrounding selector's values, but these should stand out logically. For
example, the margin-top property is not inherited; intuitively, a paragraph
would not have the same top margin as the document body."

I completely disagree with the logical and intuitive sentiments, and find
browser implementation of margins and padding to be, among other things,
inconsistent. I did a bunch of testing about a year ago and ended up using
Tantek's stylesheet (undohtml.css).

http://tantek.com/log/2004/09.html#d06t2354
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2004/09/15/emreallyem-undoing-htmlcss/
http://creatingdrew.com/2008/08/6-popular-css-reset-techniques/